What should you consider before you buy a mobile workforce app solution? There are many things to contemplate when evaluating mobile workforce apps and it may depend on why you are looking. For example, the reason to move to a new solution may be due to legislation like Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) for home healthcare or Electronic Logging Devices (ELD) for distribution drivers, and you need to make sure the solution meets the mandated requirements.
Other considerations may relate to improving field service KPIs related to cost reduction, revenue growth or better customer engagement. And sometimes it is due to an event or circumstance such as too many missed appointment complaints or the discovery of abuse of time cards.
The reason to search for a new mobile workforce app may vary, but the decision process often follows a similar model from one organization to the next. Typically organizations will bring together a cross-functional vendor selection team to define the capabilities and features they will consider when evaluating their new mobile workforce app solution.
Just as important but often forgotten is the need for the selection team to discuss and determine what criteria to consider beyond the product features. The solution provider’s purchase process, onboarding, ongoing support and long-term viability can be as important as the product itself.
These non-product requirements can directly impact the implementation, time-to-value and ongoing success after a company purchases their new mobile workforce management app solution.
8 Decision Criteria for Choosing a Mobile Workforce App Solution – Beyond the Features
Frost & Sullivan, a leading research and consulting company, developed a Best Practices Research Report that includes a list of benchmarking criteria for SMB mobile workforce applications. We took eight of these non-product related decision criteria and developed discover questions that your vendor selection team can use as they evaluate mobile workforce app solutions.
- What is the cost per user?
- Is unlimited administrative and manager access included in the price?
- Are onboarding and ongoing training included in the price?
- Is 24x7x365 live support included in the price?
- Is it a monthly subscription, one-time or annual fee?
- Can I easily scale the number of subscriptions as field staff grows?
- Are the package offerings priced according to their capabilities?
Customer Purchase Experience
- Does the vendor provide professional sales consultants that are knowledgeable about our industry and use case needs?
- Does the vendor offer ROI calculations using our numbers?
- Can the solution be purchased through multiple channels such as app stores, online marketplaces, value-added resellers, system integrators or direct sales?
Customer Ownership Experience
- Is the solution turnkey and easy to configure to our operation’s requirements?
- Do I need to dedicate IT staff or other resources to implement and maintain the solution?
- How quickly can the solution be implemented?
- Do I have access to a dedicated onboarding specialist?
- Are there on-demand training materials like videos and best practice documentation?
- What happens if I need to train someone new months after we implemented the solution?
Customer Service Experience
- Is live customer support available when our field teams are working?
- Can I reach customer support by phone and email 24x7x365?
- Are the vendor and their solutions well-known?
- Is the solution a core-competency for the vendor?
- Are there customer case study references available?
- Has the vendor or their solutions earned awards or industry accolades?
- How long has the vendor been in business?
- Is the vendor financially stable?
- Is the vendor making investments back into the company and their solutions?
- Does the vendor understand and have proven experience in my industry?
- Who are some of their key customers?
- Do they have customers that are similar to my company?
- Does the vendor demonstrate that they are growing with new customers?
- Is the vendor expanding into additional industries or solution use cases?
These eight vendor-related attributes merit consideration alongside the product capabilities when organizations consider who to choose for their mobile workforce app solution.
Download list of questions.
Find mobile workforce best practice articles.